Translate This Page!

Monday, April 11, 2016

Writing about not writing 1

Many times in the scheduling of watching and writing about films I find that I don't want to really write about a film I saw. This happens pretty often and usually I just move on waiting for the next movie that stirs some words in me.It happened twice this week which spurred me into thinking about what it is that turns me away from blogging movies. Writing about a good or bad film happens often. The ideas whether I liked them or hated them can illicit a response that I want to record. Somethings though there is nothing the film could be great but I just don't really want to put anything down. The same can be said with viewing a movie that was so bad that writing seems a waste of time. So I wanted to spend a bit of time  talking about two films I recently viewed but could not find the energy or interest to review.
  The Reverend (2011) - Written and directed by Neil Jones from his graphic novel is the story of  a nameless priest played by Stuart Brennan who unfortunately for him is a man chosen to be tested. There is a nice backstory centering around the idea of the bible book of Job that plays out with our young reverend. He early in the film is bitten, intentionally by a vampire and quickly has the thirst to feed. So here we have his dilemma can he be a man who sees this  condition as a test from God and like Job never question God's will? Can he use this curse of having to feed on blood in a way that furthers what he sees as gods will? All of this is played out as he finds the corruption that has infiltrated the little hamlet that he is assigned. The film is well executed with adequate gore and effects but something in this perfectly acceptable horror film just did not connect enough with me to give it a review.
  Juan of the Dead (2011) - Juan de los Muertos (original title) by writer / director Alejandro Brugués is a really wonderful film with political commentary, ridiculous end of the world scenarios and touching relationships between characters. Some how though this was just too complicated for me to write about. There were so many cool little bits and commentary on the world that I felt like I could not do it justice.It's a shame because I think it is a movie that should be seen and reviewed. I should be able to at least talk about some of the great weird scene ideas like the view under the ocean or the cool beheading of the zombies surrounding Juan and his friends. Still when I sat down to do that writing nothing felt right, the phrasing was not there and so I abandoned the review.

As I have done so far this year; I am doing as an experiment my Twitter account @Soresport is dedicated to following and being followed by people in behind the camera for the films I see. Then I am also hoping some of them follow me back.  These films are pretty new. I don't hold much hope for any of them to folow back especially since there are not full reviews here. I do fear that Twitter has become too much of a promotional tool for people in film to actually get those follow backs but hey its an experiment. I am now following over 110 people while the followers is only 16 so as you can see people in the biz do not follow just anyone back. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog email address: movies@edhovey.com